Some posts on petdogworld.co.uk may contain affiliate links. Please see my Disclosure Policy for further information.
There are benefits in getting an adult dog such as the amount of time and attention it takes to housetrain. Let’s look at the reasons why.
- There are a lot more adult dogs available for adoption that need home than puppies.
- You won’t have to worry about the dog causing havoc in your home as a puppy would.
- They will bond with you quicker.
- They may understand certain commands already.
- They will not need as much time and attention as a puppy.
- Most adult dogs have had some kind of training making it easier to adapt to your household.
- You can leave the dog at home for a few hours while you are at work, popping home at lunchtime to take him out.
- An adult dog will make a wonderful companion especially if you live alone.
With the adult dog population on the increase, adopting one and giving a dog a forever home is a wonderful thing. While first-time pet owners may want a puppy, you may not find as many in shelters as you would find adult dogs.
If you can take a moment to look at it from a dog’s perspective, they may have been neglected by their owners, or perhaps the owners can no longer take care of them. This can leave them depressed and lethargic. Living in a shelter is neither pleasant nor healthy to a dog’s emotional state of mind, they do have feelings.
If you’ve ever gone to a shelter, you may have noticed when you walk by cage after cage that some dogs become excited, often press their noses up against the cage or try to reach out with their paws. Others may just sit in a corner depressed and look up with sad eyes.
Adopting an adult dog, taking him home and caring for him is all he requires, and the rewards are immeasurable. There are so many breeds whose personalities are unique.
This book shows that adopting a dog can reward you with years of companionship, joy, and unconditional love: What to Expect When Adopting a Dog: A Guide to Successful Dog Adoption for Every Family
The advantages of getting an adult dog are many, but the bottom line is that you are not only offering them a permanent home but giving them the opportunity to live out their lives in a safe and loving environment.