Some posts on petdogworld.co.uk may contain affiliate links. Please see my Disclosure Policy for further information.
Keeping Your Dog Calm On November 5th
Many dogs are scared of fireworks. My dog is an exception, he just barks at them and wants to go out and chase them. Some dogs are terrified.
What can you do to keep your dog calm on November 5th?
- Don’t take your dog out at night when fireworks are going off. Walk your dog earlier in the day when it is still light
- Make sure all windows are shut to muffle out the sound
- Play music or have the television on to mask the noise. If you’re going to a display you can leave the radio on while you are out.
- Create a comfy corner or hiding place for your dog where he/she can feel secure
- If you can be at home with your dog that’s great! If you can’t, try to have someone sit with your pet while you are out
- If you’re having a display yourself make sure your dog is moved to the quietest area of the house
- Try using a calming spray
A calming spray such as Pet Remedy contains a blend of essentials oils to help calm the nerves of anxious or stressed pets and is available as a spray, plugin diffuser and atomiser.
Fireworks are often let off during the days leading up to and after November the 5th so it’s a good idea to keep an eye on your dog before and after the actual event.