Cleaning up dog pee from a carpet can be a bit challenging, but with the right tools and techniques, you can effectively remove the stain and odour. Here are the steps you can follow:
- Blot up the excess pee: Use paper towels or an old towel to blot up as much of the pee as possible. Press down firmly to absorb the liquid, but avoid rubbing as it can spread the stain.
- Apply an enzymatic cleaner: Enzymatic cleaners are specifically designed to break down the proteins in pet urine and eliminate odour. These can be bought or you can make your own (see below). Apply the cleaner to the affected area and let it sit for 10-15 minutes.
- Blot up the cleaner: Use a clean towel to blot up the enzymatic cleaner and any remaining urine.
- Rinse the area: Rinse the affected area thoroughly with clean water and blot dry with a clean towel.
- Apply baking soda: Sprinkle baking soda over the affected area and let it sit for several hours or overnight. Baking soda is a natural deodorizer that can help absorb any remaining odour.
- Vacuum up the baking soda: Use a vacuum cleaner to remove the baking soda from the carpet.
- Repeat if necessary: If the stain or odour persists, repeat the process until it is completely gone.
Ready-made enzymatic cleaners:
Remember, it’s important to act quickly when dealing with pet urine stains to prevent them from setting in and becoming more difficult to remove.
Homemade Enzyme Cleaner for Dog Urine
There are a variety of natural ingredients that can be used to make an effective dog urine cleaner. Here is a simple recipe that you can make at home:
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- Blot up any excess urine with paper towels or an old towel.
- Mix the white vinegar and water together in a spray bottle.
- Spray the solution onto the affected area and let it sit for 10-15 minutes.
- Sprinkle baking soda over the area and let it sit for another 10-15 minutes.
- Use a soft-bristled brush or a clean towel to gently scrub the area.
- Rinse the area with clean water and blot dry with a clean towel.
Ingredients for homemade cleaner:
This natural dog urine cleaner works because vinegar is acidic and helps break down the urine, while baking soda neutralizes odours. A tablespoon of washing-up liquid can also be added to the mixture to help break down stubborn stains.
It’s important to note that this solution may not be suitable for all types of carpets, so be sure to test it on a small, inconspicuous area first before using it on a larger stain.